Written by Latinas for Everyone
The 6 Anthologies selected for the Reclaiming Your Divinity Awards are a FABULOSO collection of stories about Latinos who are living role models of success in their lives. These heartwarming stories will capture your heart and soul. They will help you to feel connected to your roots and to your ancestors. In these stories you will see many ways of being successful, defining success on your own terms, and owning your own reality. There is no right way, one way, or the best way to be successful, there is just the way that works for you and is defined by you.
Hopefully, these stories from the heart will inspire and encourage you to write your own story to share with the world. In all of these books, but especially in Chicken Soup for the Latino Soul, you will see ordinary Latinos living extraordinary lives and making a decided difference in their families and their communities.
These stories that feed our souls and nourish our spirits are heartwarming and inspiring. They allow us to see the human race in all of its glory, for the story tellers are authentic and genuine. They are real and raw. They do not mince words in the telling of their stories, they are vulnerable, honest and allow us to see that we are truly blessed. These Anthologies are a beautiful collection embracing and celebrating the la comunidad latina.
I proudly present to you the 6 Anthology Awardees!!!
- Chicken Soup for the Latino Soul: Celebrating la Comunidad Latinaby Mark Victor Hansen, Jack Canfield, & Susan Casal
- Latina Women: 150 Vidas of Passion, Strength, and Success by Sylvia Mendoza
- Count On Me: Tales of Sisterhoods and Fierce Friendships by Las Comadres para Las Americas
- Las Mamis: Favorite Latino Authors Remember Their Mothers by Esmeralda Santiago & Joie Davidow
- 8 Ways to Say I Love My Life by Susan Orosco
- Borderline Personalities: A New Generation of Latinas Dish on Sex, Sass, and Cultural Shifting by Michelle Herrera Mulligan & Robyn Moreno
So, if your prefer short stories, pick up one of these FABULOSO books yCon un pan y cafecito, Seguimos Adelante, Zulmara Maria
Powerful Books to Feed Your Soul, Nourish Your Spirit, and Inspire Your Heartsong:
Written by Latinas for Everyone
The 6 non-fiction books selected for the Reclaiming Your Divinity Book Awards are powerful statements on the lives of Latinas in the United States and how Latinas, regardless of definition, make a statement and make a difference. These books are prophetic…in that they were written before December 2012, but are all based on ushering a more feminine way of being and knowing in the world. They epitomize the rising of the 5th Mayan sun and the setting of the 4th sun, as they provide alternative ways of viewing life, purpose, and success. It is a powerful and empowering collection of owing your Latinidad and embracing your divinity.
What drew me to these books was the realization of the authors that Latinas are not defined by the color of their skin, the type of hair they have, the language they speak, or their country of origin, they are defined by something intangible, un sentido de corazon, a way of being and knowing in the world that is off the beaten path, although, they navigate the beaten path very well.
In these 6 books you will read about powerful Latinas who have made an impactful difference in their families, on their communities, , and in society. The authors show us the ways that many different Latinas have been successful and give us an opportunity of navigating the various paths of success to find our own way. These books are not your typical self-help, follow my lead books, but rather are empowering and encouraging to have others find their own way, no matter what the circumstances.
The six featured authors are themselves powerful Latinas who work tirelessly to help the Latino Community and society at large move to a kinder, gentler society. They have written books that will appeal to everyone and has a message for the masses.
Sandra Guzman, Mariela Dabbah, Rosie Molinary, Francesca Escoto, Ana Nogales, and Sonia Sotomayor are all active community members living lives of purpose, dreaming of a better tomorrow, and helping others to hear their heartsong and act on it.
I proudly present to you the 6 Non-Fiction Awardees!!!
- The New Latina Bible: The Modern Latina’s Guide to Love, Spirituality, Family, and La Vida by Sandra Guzman
- Find Your Inner Red Shoes: Step Into Your Own Style of Success by Mariela Dabbah
- Hijas Americanas: Beauty, Body Image, and Growing Up Latina by Rosie Molinary
- Divorce Your Drama: Courage to Make the Tough Choice That are Worth Every Tear by Francesca Escoto
- Latina Power: Using 7 Strengths You Already Have to Create the Success You Deserve by Dr. Ana Nogales
- My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor
So pick up one of these EMPOWERING books y…Con un pan y cafecito, Seguimos Adelante, Zulmara Maria
Congratulations y Felicidades!!!
It with great pleasure and gratification that I announce the recipients of the Reclaiming Your Divinity Book Awards in the 3 categories of Non-Fiction, and Anthologies and Fiction. These are powerful Books to feed your soul, nourish your spirit, and inspire your heartsong.
The Non-Fiction Book Awards are going to:
The Anthology Book Awards are going to:
The Fiction Book Category is special because there are two books for each author. These fiction characters have a lot to teach us about being Latina, finding your voice, and living your authentic life. Kudos to these very special authors.
Stay tuned for podcasts, book reviews, and book club guides for each of these very powerful books by Latinas, about Latinas, with a universal appeal to everyone!!!Con un pan y cafecito, Seguimos adelante, Zulmara Maria
Powerful Books to Feed Your Soul, Nourish Your Spirit, and Inspire Your Heartsong: Reclaiming Your Divinity Book Awards
It is with great pride and pleasure that I will be announcing the recipients of the Reclaiming Your Divinity Book Awards. There are three categories and 6 books have been selected for each category. These books were selected because they feed your soul, nourish your spirit, and inspire your heartsong.
The Categories are Fiction, Non-Fiction, and Anthologies. The selection was not easy as there were many, many, books reviewed. These powerful books were selected using the following criteria:
- Book or collection had to be authored by Latinas
- The message from the book or the main character had to resonate with Reclaiming Your Divinity
- Pride in a diverse cultural heritage had to be evident
- The Latinas themselves had to be social activists who are involved in supporting the Latina community and social justice issues.
I am proud to be able to bring you such a distinguished list of Latinas who are and continue to make a difference for Latinas everywhere, with the stories they tell and the difference they make for our community.
The Recipients will be announced on February 28, 2014 on this blog. Following the announcement, there will be a series of blogposts featuring a podcast, a review of each of the books, and book club questions for each of the books.
It is my hope that this will inspire readers in book clubs everywhere to choose some of these books for their book club selections as they are empowering themselves, finding their voice, and Reclaiming Their Divinity!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Y FELICIDADES to the awardees!!!!Con un pan y cafecito, Seguimos adelante, Zulmara Maria
Reclaiming Your Divinity: Zulmara Maria Teixeira de Lima
We had a great day with many take-aways. First and foremost, we became aware of the lives we have already touched, just by being us..YES, because you loved me…I am AWESOME!!!
Then, we chanted our Divinity Affirmations!!!
Then, we practiced becoming aware of our “yeah but’s” and increasing our “yes, and…!
Then, we made our DIVA wine glasses…que cool are we!!
Then, we started calling our millions to us…as we thought about
- Paying it forward
- Giving back, and
- Having too much fun with our millions
Then, we toasted to our great RiseUp Leadership Series
Then, we had an AWESOME Closure by Joe Baca. It was a great day and we did have a lot of FUN Learning!!!
Hope to see some of you join us next time!!!Con un pan y cafecito, Seguimos Adelante, Zulmara Maria
Gems of Wisdom, joyas de consejos, y nuggets de oro from the RiseUp Leadership Series: Reclaiming Your Divinity
Reclaiming Your Divinity: Zulmara Maria
Who are you hanging out with? How do they help you get your DIVA on?
Who is your motivation? Who is your inspiration?
Embracing your divinity is not all about you, it is about empowering others to new heights!!!Con un pan y cafecito Seguimos adelante Zulmara Maria
Gems of Wisdom, joyas de consejos, y nuggets de oro from the RiseUp Leadership Series: Vision Board Playshop
Deborah Deras: Vision Board Playshop: How to Create the Life You Love
- Get to in in alignment, to serve your best purpose
- You have to be lazer clear about why you are here
- Adrenaline addict, being constantly in action to make sure you are always doing something…to prove that you are enough…
- Go to stillness…In this stillness, you can blossom
- When you get still, you tune into your intuition
- Right brain thinks in images and symbols and pictures…what images are coming to mind? What do they mean to you?
- It just takes one moment to flip the switch. We all have something that is our unique talent–we all have something that is our soul’s contract…you have to have a conversation with your soul
- It is all about letting go, so you can be available to allow your vision to come through you
- When you let go, it is a place of surrender, and we do not have to go it alone, we have each other, we have a community that will allow us to move forward
- Helping others get the tools to go faster at a slower pace…that is my joy and gift…
Then the RiseUp Leaders set their intentions for the day…
- greater focus
- a path to clarity
- to have an intention, what do I want to do with myself
- not sure
- find myself
- let go of the past and start new
- bring balance to my life
- understanding my brain–synergizing
- why I stop moving forward
- complete consistent focus to move forward
- family harmony
- trying to figure out how to balance work and life
- celebrating life
- getting this show on the road – RiseUp on the road
And Deborah then led us through how we were going to manifest our heart’s desires by anchoring the highest vibration by being in gratitude and love…and getting out of your head and into your heart. Mil gracias Deborah, you are a true inspirational visionary!!!
Gems of Wisdom, joyas de consejos, y nuggets de oro from the RiseUp Leadership Series: The Social Media Connection
Alex Marie Marnriquez: Social Media Connection
Alex is the founder and CEO of My Social Calling, a business designed to help people understand social media and how to use it beneficially to increase and enhance your business. Her presentation answered the question: Why it is important and how we can make it work for us?
- Use social media for sales, networking? promoting events, marketing services? promoting ourselves? branding ourselves…
- The Customer is the biggest part of social media…we post for other people, not for us…that is where many miss the mark…they are trying to post for themselves and for what fulfills their needs…it will not get others to buy your services…
- It is important to look at social media as how we fulfill customer needs…
- Look at it like a small town…the milkman, the butler who knew what my mom wanted…it helps us to connect even greater and we make deeper connections…
- Social Media shrinks our worlds and we need to capitalize on how we connect…
- People want to do business with people they like…you take this tool and utilize it to expand your social network…things you use to your advantage to gain the trust of your future customers.
- Social media is a relationship, you have to get to know someone over time…before you can have a business relationship with them…
- The next step after you connect is to take a step to remind others that you care about them: I can’t wait to talk to you some more, I remember this link and this reminds me of you…
- It is about building the relationship: Do what you say you are going to do? Do you keep the connection going? Do you build the relationship?
- You want them to become a customer for life…you want them to love your business, how you talk to them, how you make them feel, the services you provide.
- Think of my tia and the butcher…he had a customer for life…he knew her cuts, how she would pay…etc…
- It is all about how to connect and how to personally make a difference…we do not connect on products and things…we connect on who we know and who we are and how we can make a difference to why they are and what they need
- Social Media is not a passive activity, it is active and proactive, you have to make sure that you are reading and taking actual interest in others…
- No one else really cares what you are doing, if it is not going to help them…you have to help them see how what you have can be a connection for them
- Relationships are key to connecting… you have to have build a relationship whether you meet somebody in person or online…
- I don’t know all the people I follow or who follow me…but each one is a potential customer.
You can find Alex at My Social Calling for more information and to see the services she offers.Con un pan y cafecito, Seguimos adelante, Zulmara Maria
Gems of Wisdom, joyas de consejos, y nuggets de oro from the RiseUp Leadership Series: The Art of Networking
Olivia E. Rios gave an AWESOME presentation at the RiseUp Leadership Series. She provided tips for networking before, during, and after you attend an event.
Before the Event:
- Overcome the fears of networking through preparation, conversation tips and nurturing relationship
- Have an action plan before the event
- Use the event as an opportunity to meet those who can help build your business
- Research who is putting on the event and who will be there
- Call a comadre to go with you
- Decide who you want to meet, find out who can help you in your business, and who can help you make an introduction
- If you are going for the first time or going alone, volunteer and work the registration desk
- Ask questions and after registration, follow up with individuals
- Prepare and practice your elevator speech…and tailor your 30 second speech to the audience
- Better to be overdressed rather than underdressed—research and dress appropriately
Here are a few gems to keep in mind during a networking event:
- Be impactful, be memorable, think of the event as yours…own it, and work it
- Get introduced to those you want to meet
- Know about the organization that is putting on the event and act as if…you are the event planner
- Be present…stay off your phone, except to take pictures
- Introduce yourself with a smile and give your quick elevator speech
- Ask the person what they do…and what they know about the organization and their relationship with them…
- Make the conversation about them and how you can HELP THEM…
- Try to find something in common with everyone you meet…
- Always regroup with friends…check in and ask who they met…
- Introduce the new people you have met…to the comadres you have come with
- Wear a statement piece…the last piece of jewelry that my daddy bought me…something nice and bold…to make you stand out…
- Give a personal compliment…Comment on their name, Ask what they do and why…
- Make good eye contact–when you greet people, look in their eyes…the eyes are the window into the soul…
- Engage in active listening…listen to what people are telling you…no interrupting…practice being a good listener
- Do NOT monopolize the conversation…it is not about you…it is about networking
- Engage in a genuine exchange of information and opinions…
- Avoid conversation killers and taboo topics…
- Avoid yes and no questions
- Avoid gossip…whatever you put out there, will come back to you…
If you don’t have anything nice to say…don’t say anything at all.
BAMBI and Olivia
AFTER the EVENT…
Your actions AFTER the event are just as important as your actions before and during the event to build your networth.
- Deliver what you promised…it is key
- Insert your new contact into your database…
- Research your new contacts on LinkedIn for business possibilities…
- Send a personal message: It was great meeting you at…let me know how I can help you…
- Invite them to like your business page…
- It is about quality and quantity…5 good people who can help you are better than 20 new acquaintances
- Send random emails to say hello, thinking of you…
- Pick up the phone and call…give that personal touch…invite them to the next event…
- The more networking you do, the more social capital you will have in your bank account…
Con un pan y cafecito, Seguimos adelante, Zulmara Maria